13.3.08

Excuses...

I have often had people who do not currently attend church tell me that they don't go to church because it is "unnecessary" or that "all of the people there are just hypocrites anyway" and therefore they don't want to associate with a bunch of hypocrites. They pull out the excuse that they "don't have any nice clothes to wear" or that they haven't been to a church in a while so they would "feel uncomfortable or out of place". But the best excuse that I have ever heard is, "I don't trust in or commit to things that I don't understand", and therefore they can't trust in God because they don't understand God. Now to this I would like to reply (I don't but I wish that I would) "Do you understand the manner in which electricity works and if you don't do you not have lights, televisions, or any other gadget that requires the use of this thing that you don't understand? Do you understand the law of gravity and if not does that mean that it does not exist? Do you understand the workings of an internal combustion engine and if not do you refuse to drive or ride in any vehicle?" Hopefully the fallibility in this excuse is clearly evident and the ridiculous nature this sort of reasoning is brought to light. God, through His word talks about this very subject and the problem that He knew man would have accepting the truth where it says in 1 Timothy 3:16

"And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory."

Remember, just because you choose not to believe or accept something, does not make it any less true or necessary...

No comments: